What are cookies?
Any type of data storage and retrieval device used on a user's terminal equipment (e.g. computer, cell phone or tablet) to store information and retrieve stored information.
The term cookies is used herein in its broadest sense, to include other similar technologies such as shared objects or flash cookies, web beacons, bugs, etc. as well as the use of fingerprinting techniques, meaning the device's ability to digitally capture fingerprints.
What are cookies used for?
We use our own and third-party cookies for very different purposes, such as recognizing you as a customer, obtaining information on your products or interests, gathering usage measurements and statistics, customizing the content we show you or improving the range of products and services we offer.
The specific purposes of each cookie can be viewed in the list of cookies by going into the Settings Panel.
Types of cookies
Based on the purpose of the cookie:
- Technical cookies: Cookies that enable the user to browse the web page, platform or application and to use the available options or services, including those used by the editor to manage and operate the website and enable its functions and services, e.g. controlling traffic and data communication, identifying the session, accessing restricted areas, remembering the elements in an order, completing the checkout process, managing payments, controlling fraud linked to the service's security, asking to register for or participate in an event, counting visits to bill software licenses used in the service (website, platform or application), using securing elements during browsing, storing content to play videos or sound, enabling dynamic content (e.g. text/image loading animation) or sharing content on social media.
- Preference or personalization cookies: Cookies that make it possible to remember information so that users may view the service with certain characteristics that may be different from those of other users, such as language, products that may interest the user, the service's content depending on the type of browser used to access the service or the region from which it is accessed, etc.
- Analysis or measurement cookies: Cookies that allow their owner to monitor and analyze user behavior on the websites they are linked to, including quantification of the impact of advertising. Information gathered with this type of cookie is used to measure website, platform or application activity then make improvements based on these data.
- Behavioral advertising cookies: Cookies that store information on user behavior from continued observation of user browsing habits, thus enabling the development of a specific profile to show advertising according to the behavior in question.
Depending on their duration, cookies can be:
- Session cookies: These types of cookies are designed to obtain and store details while the user is accessing a website. They are normally used to store information that is only useful to provide the service requested by the user on a single occasion (for example, a list of products purchased), and are deleted when the session ends.
- Persistent cookies: Type of cookie in which the data is stored in the terminal and can be accessed and processed for a period set by the owner of the cookie, which can range from a few minutes to several years.
Based on the company that manages them:
- Internal cookies: Those cookies that are sent to the user's terminal from a computer or domain managed by the owner of the website that provides the service requested by the user.
- Third-party cookies: these cookies are sent to the user's terminal from a computer or domain that is not managed by the owner of the website, but by another company that processes the data obtained through the cookies. If the cookies are installed from a machine or domain managed by the website itself, but their information is managed by a third party, they cannot be regarded as first-party cookies if the third party uses them for its own purposes, such as improving the services it offers or to provide, for example, advertising services on behalf of other entities.
The above applies except in cases where cookies are needed for browsing in the terminal equipment and/or for providing the service requested by the user (technical cookies). Technical cookies are exempt from the information and consent requirements contained in Article 22 of the LSSI (see definition of technical cookies).
However, even though we will store the choice made by the user for a maximum of 24 months, we will periodically ask you to verify your consent. Likewise, if, after you give your consent, there is a change in cookies, in how they are used or in the third-party cookie providers, we will again request your consent.
For those third-party cookies, keep in mind that the revocation process is managed and controlled exclusively by each service provider. You can delete them from the browser options or from the system offered by the third party itself. Check the links provided for this purpose in the Settings Panel.
In any case, the user can, at any time, allow, block, or delete cookies, as well as delete all their browsing information (including cookies) from the browser installed on their terminal. Check the options and instructions that your browser provides for doing this:
Disabling all cookies does not prevent browsing through the service.
Personal data protection
Some cookies may involve the processing of personal data, i.e. when the user is identified by a name or email address that identifies them (for example, if the user is registered), via the IP address or when unique identifiers are used that allow individual users to be recognized and tracked (e.g., advertising ID).
To find out how we process personal data, please check our Personal Data Protection Policy here.
Latest version: August 2020.