Find out about how to reduce your carbon footprint
With simple actions, you can make your way of consuming energy more environmentally friendly.
Setting the temperature of the refrigerator
You could save 5% energy for every additional degree.
Electricity consumption by the refrigerator accounts for around one quarter of an electricity bill. Lowering the temperature by one degree may cause consumption to increase 5%.
Try these ideas to optimize your use of the refrigerator and reduce its consumption:
- Keep the refrigerator temperature at 5º C and the freezer at -18º C. Food will be kept in perfect condition.
- If your fridge doesn't have a thermostat, consider the season when you set how cold you keep it. Use minimum power in winter and increase it to average power in summer.
- Thaw out food inside the refrigerator to maintain its properties and to take advantage of its cold to maintain the temperature in the refrigerator.
- Remove frost from the fridge and freezer, as it acts as an insulator.
- Open the fridge for the shortest time possible and avoid putting hot food inside.
By implementing these changes, you will save energy and better preserve your food to avoid throwing it out.