The first thing to do for any couple who are starting to plan their wedding is to prepare two different funds. One is for the general costs and the second is for any unforeseen expenses that could arise. Although this may seem like an excess of caution, an event of this size always comes with some last-minute surprises. Just to give an example, if the reception is held outdoors there is a chance that it could rain... and renting a tent at the last minute is not cheap. These are the kind of costs that the fund for unexpected expenses will cover as well. Any wedding, whether civil or religious, can produce some unexpected administrative costs.
If there turns out to be no additional expense, we can use the money we have received for planned expenditure. And if these are already covered, then congratulations! A little extra money is never a bad thing.
As for general expenses fund, this includes many different elements including the following:
- Catering: the wedding banquet usually represents the largest cost within the final budget. It is calculated that Spaniards spend around €15,000 on food and drinks for an average of 100 guests.
- Invitations: these may seem somewhat trivial, but the invitations are like the letter of introduction for the wedding, and they must reflect the style of the bride and groom as well as the style of the ceremony. Will it be a wedding with strict etiquette observed, or something elegant but casual, or at the beach, etc. The best approach is to hire a professional, and that costs money.
- Photos and video: ensuring that you will have a professional-quality reminder of that magic day will not be inexpensive. There are many wedding photographers available on the market, and it is a good idea to take some time to shop around in order to choose the most suitable photographer at the right price.
- The wedding dress and suit: These days wedding dresses have become “democratized”, and there are now several brands that have launched more affordable lines. Nevertheless, a wedding dress has never been known as an inexpensive item. The suit worn by the groom can also represents a significant expense, although usually to a lesser extent.
- Music and other extras: everyone will appreciate special music during the ceremony and dancing for the guests afterwards, or a good DJ during the banquet.