What is Blue Monday?
When is Blue Monday?
Blue Monday, as Professor Cliff Arnall's formula rightly stated, takes place on the third Monday in January. Why? Because it combines a number of negative factors:
- It's the worst day of the week, since it starts off the week.
- Enough time has passed since the beginning of the year to set aside our New Year's resolutions.
- People haven't gotten their January paycheck yet.
- We start feeling the pressure of all the money spent at Christmastime.
- The weather is more rainy, and it's getting colder.
Why is it called Blue Monday?
Let's look at the two words in Blue Monday:
- There's Monday, which is the first day of the workweek.
- And then there's Blue, which is a term that is used to denote something that causes sadness or unhappiness.
So, by combining both, we get what in Spanish is known as Lunes Triste.