Registering your baby in the Civil Registry and other procedures

When a child is born, you need to carry out a series of administrative procedures, which we'll explain to you step by step

When a baby is born, the parents or legal guardians need to perform a series of administrative activities to make the baby a citizen with fully fledged rights.

To save time, in the last few weeks of pregnancy it is a good idea to find out where you will have to go to carry out each procedure and to prepare the documentation. Some forms can be downloaded online.

There are companies that deal with these procedures for a price ranging between 30 and 70 euros. If you can choose this route (sometimes parents have to attend in person), you will have to draw up an authorization and sign the necessary forms.

The internet has made many procedures easier and faster. Now the baby can be registered in the Social Security Institute online, and in many cases it is possible to register them in the Civil Registry from the hospital.

4. Registering the baby's residence

Usually, the newborn baby's residency is registered in the town hall ex officio, using the information sent by the Civil Registry. If the parents do not live together, preference is given to the mother's place of residence.

If there is an urgency, the parents can register the baby directly in their town hall, or at their District Council if they live in a big city, with their ID and the literal birth certificate.

5. Applying for classification as a Large Family

If a third child is born, or if there are two children and one of them has a disability, the family is considered a large family.

Classification as a Large Family is managed by social services in each autonomous region (in some it can be done online).

To do so, it is necessary to present an original and a photocopy of the parents' ID and that of any children over 14 years of age, a photocopy and original of the Family Booklet or of the marriage certificate and the children's birth certificates, as well as a current statement or certificate of residency.