Newborns need a heap of adapted paraphernalia to make them comfortable and safe, which are not exactly cheap: cradle, rocker, pram, car seat, baby bath... It is possible to save money on baby accessories? Yes, some options are more affordable than others.
A cradle is all you need
It is true that during the first few months, the baby tends to be in a travel cot or bassinet, but if you want to save money and you have no one to lend you one, you can use a cradle straight away.
- The travel cot and bassinet are so small that you use them for barely three or four months.
- If you think the cradle is too big, or you want to keep your baby close during the day, you can use the carrycot from your stroller for naps at home.
The baby carrier can be used as a rocker
There comes a time when the baby gets bored in their cradle and wants to see their mom and dad. Rockers come in handy to keep them nearby. They are not expensive, but the baby carrier for the stroller or car seat can do the same job, since the curved bottom allows it to rock.
Bath-changer: more economical separately
If there is something that frightens new parents it is bathing a newborn, because it seems like you don't have enough hands to hold them. Bath-changers with legs (with a lid with a thick plastic changing mat on top) make the task easier, but take up quite a lot of space and not are cheap.
- To save money you can buy a folding changer (which you will need when you are out and about) and change the baby on a high table. If you change them on the bed, do it while sitting to save your back.
- For bathing, there are plenty of more affordable options than the bath-changer: rockers that hold to the baby in the bathtub, ergonomic tubs, inflatable tubs (very useful when traveling) and even folding tubs that can be used for several years.
Stroller: think about size and how long you will use it
When you choose the stroller or pram, think about whether you need large wheels for the countryside, whether it will fit in an elevator or in the trunk of the car... It is important to consider all that so that you do not have to change model at some point.
- If the baby is born in winter, it is more protected in the stroller's bassinet, although baby carriers have accessories (bag, protective plastic...) to make sure your baby does not get cold and, in addition, they work as a car seat for several months (the stroller bassinets can be used too but for less time).
- If the baby is born at the end of spring or the beginning of summer, you can forget the stroller bassinet if you choose a fully reclining stroller.